Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Two days, lots of stuff...

I had all day Sunday, hoping to button it all up and start it.

Not so much. Leaks. Bad leaks. I pulled the fuel rail and replaced the O-rings on the injectors. Put it back on, hit it with the fuel pump again. Pressure shot up. Way up. Pegged the gauge. Not good. Pulled it off and dismantled the pressure regulator. Whoah. Big mess. The passenger side passage from the rail to the regulator body was completely clogged with some kind of shit, and the little tube that connected them was badly corroded. A bit of time with the bench grinder and some oversized O-rings fixed that point. A new fuel pressure regulator top took care of the totally fucked internals.

So, buttoned it all up and hit the pump again. Pressure shot to 50psi, and then the regulator went into bypass, just like it should. Then gasoline started dumping out onto the ground right below the driver side door. The return line was rusted all the way through.

This morning, I stopped in over at Street and Strip and grabbed another ten feet of braided steel hose and ran a new return. No more leaks.

So, I put the upper plenum on, hooked all the wiring and vacuum lines up, and then looked at the heater hose problem. I was worried I'd have to splice a return for the heater core into the lower radiator hose, but I lucked out. The radiator I bought last year has a port on the tank for the heater core return. All I need is a length of 1/2" heater hose and I can fill it with water.

After that, I need four small bolts to attach the water pump pulley, and then I can start it. If it fires, I'm going to jump up and down like an idiot.

No comments: