Thursday, November 29, 2007

Iterations

I've been driving the Bucket all week on the new engine. Tuning with the Megasquirt has turned out to be and easy, but time consuming iterative process.

Basically, I drive somewhere and log the trip. During the trip, I try to run the car through as many throttle positions and loads as I can. When I get to my destination, I run the log through MegaLogViewer and have it re-analyze the VE table.

My first trip out, the car wouldn't spin past 3000 RPM. The map was just too out of whack. So far, I've got the VE map tuned out to 4200 RPM. Every time I analyze the log, the engine will spin a bit higher.

I'm also having issues with the TV cable adjustment on the transmission. It just isn't shifting correctly. There are also exhaust leaks on the headers, which are driving me insane. I think once I get the panels under the dash reinstalled, that might get a bit better. We'll see.

Almost through a tank of gas already. Gas milage seems to be abysmal, but I've been hammering on it and the VE table was crap, and the maladjusted transmission has the shift points all fucked up, so its been spinning higher in some cruise situations, so hopefully that will improve. Once I'm comfortable I have a table that won't blow the engine if I have to go WOT to pass something, I can start looking more closely at the cruise parts of the map and increasing fuel mileage.

No comments: