Monday, February 12, 2007

FastAr!!!11

Well, got bored yesterday and worked on the car some last night. The goal was to fix the choke and the TCC lockup, neither had been working properly.

A bit of testing with the multimeter found that I'm retarded. An electric choke is nothing more than a heater. I didn't think about this, and spliced the choke and the TCC lockup into the same switched 12V line. The result? Voltage grounded through the choke, TCC clutch got nothing.

So, fished the original choke lead out of the harness, and plugged it up to that. Used the other 12V lead for the TCC lockup.

My next adventure was checking the TCC lockup's vacuum switch. When I plugged the Mity-Vac into the line off the carb, it wouldn't hold vacuum. Turned out the distributor vacuum advance module had failed. I checked the damn thing before I installed it, but it would appear that use has torn the diaphram. No biggie, I didn't really need it anyway. I recurved the distributor based on results from an engine simulator. I pulled the line off and just hosed the timed port to the TCC lockup vacuum switch.

Lo and behold, the car performs much better now. Much peppier at the low end. Still a little sluggish on the top, but I think the carb is too small. TCC Lockup works now, but only with the engine almost at idle. Seems that the cam isn't generating enough vacuum at part throttle (the switch needs to see 10" to close). I'll pull the switch off tonight and set it closer to 5".

No comments: