Monday, December 04, 2006

Core charge is taken care of...

Yay. Hooray. I took care of the evil Pep Boys core charge.

Yes, my new engine, predictably, had a core charge. Unpredictably, the rebuilder Pep Boys uses apparently is really picky about their cores. Must be 4 bolt main, must have dipstick on the correct side, must not already be bored more than .030 over... crazy. Of course, the original engine from my car isn't even the correct displacement, so giving THAT back wasn't going to work.

So, pick up the phone and call KY Core Exchange. Very nice fellows. For the patry sum of $225 I got a junk 4 bolt main block. Lot of money, but less than the $285 I was going to have to pay, so chalk up $60 in savings... but I'm not done.

Nope. Rolled $82.50 in coins. Savings up to $142.50.

Was I done then? Hell no. Loaded up a 3800 Series II and the old 2.4L from my 240Z into the back of the truck and took them to the recycler. An additional $30, plus lots of extra space in my garage!

Actual cash outflow for the day: $52.50. I win. This time.

No comments: