Monday, December 04, 2006

Bumpstick, ahoy!

What you see here is, obviously, my new long block. What you don't see is the stock camshaft sitting on the floor. According to AllData, the camshaft that came in a 1984 Chevrolet C10 truck with the 4 barrel 350 had .260" lift on the intake side and .270" lift on the exhaust side. AllData didn't tell me about the durations, but I'm sure they're crappy.

The camshaft that is now in this engine is a slightly more aggressive grind. Slightly. It's installed, and I degree'd it to within a degree of the intake centerline on the card, which is as close as I could get with my standard non-adjustable timing set.

The Competition Cams Xtreme Energy XE262H -14 is a mid-range cam grind, advertised powerband is 1500-5500 rpm. It has .464" lift on the intake side, and .470" on the exhaust side. Quite a bit more than stock. Duration at 0.050" lift is a respectable 214 degress intake, 224 degree exhaust. It should be nice and lumpy.

This grind is just a tad larger than the grind GM uses in their 290HP crate engine. My heads and block are the same. So, an informed guess is going to put me somewhere around 300hp at the crank, and 350lb-ft of torque. That could swing around quite a bit. I'll revisit this when the car is running and I get a chance to take it to the dyno.

Tomorrow is Tuesday. In the mail, I'm expecting the rest of the parts from Summit. Tomorrow night's entry should contain a picture of the fully assembled engine. Emphasis on "should." Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Mark said...

Nice work sir.