Thursday, September 04, 2008

Computer controlled timing!

Finally, I've done it. During that horrible UK/UL football game Sunday, I did the board modifications to allow me to run a computer-controlled distributor.

I then spent three nights, probably 9 hours total, fighting with what I thought were bad HEI modules and coils. Turns out the instructions for modding the megasquirt had me use a resister on the tach circuit that was way too high impedance. I replaced the resister and it started right up.

I ran it around the block yesterday afternoon, and it ran great. Idles better, miss at cruise is gone, and the car can pull all the way to 5000 rpm with no spark scatter. Then it died. After sitting on the side of the road for a few minutes, It started again. I'm guessing an overheated coil. I changed the poop coil I had been using during the troubleshooting out for my good coil and made the drive in to work this morning with nary a hiccup.

Now to find some time to get over to Autolab and use their dyno.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

You forgot to mention the part where you had to call AAA for a tow, and had to tell your lovely wife that she would be home alone with the kids for awhile longer.

A lesser man would have given up on this poopmobile already. But you are SUCH a trooper!