Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Oh, the wonder of it all!

And by all, I mean "neat eletronic toys."

I put a wideband oxygen sensor on the Bucket. It was a killer deal off an internet forum. An Innovate LM-1 wideband controller and sensor for $200. I scarfed it up immediately. That was two months ago. Last night, I had time and some nice weather, so on the car it went.

I had to make a cable to run the analog output from the wideband controller to the relay board, and getting the connector pushed through the grommet in the firewall was a pain, but it was a straightforward install.

I loaded up the Innovate software and remapped the analog output for 0-5v (10.0 - 20.o:1 AFR, linear), then set the stuff in MegaTune, and started the car.

Holy crap I've been running rich, no wonder the gas mileage has been lower than expected. It was idling below 10:1. Once I got the idle leaned out, I ran to Kroger to get the wife some sorbet, and ran MegaLogViewer's VE analysis against the log when I got home. Since it was a pretty short trip through the neighborhood, it didn't touch a lot of the map, but what it did touch has been leaned out dramatically.

I have band rehearsal tonight, so I'll be able to get about 30 miles of highway driving on it getting to and from Indiana. We'll see what happens to the map after that.

No comments: