Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Gas in the face is bad, m'kay?

So, I took the car to the dyno again on Saturday. Wheezed out a stunning 109 horsepower and 200 lb-ft of torque. Gas mileage has also dropped like a rock. Fearing a fouled and clogged catalytic converter, I took the vehicle over to Bluegrass Muffler. The nice fellows there pulled the cat and called it good. They also put some heat shielding on my fuel lines and fixed a couple of leaks.

Fixing the exhaust leaks radically changed the AFR I was reading, and I started retuning the map.

Then, everything went wonky. Super-lean readings. Very strange. So, fearing some sort of malfunction that was dumping fuel into the cylinders and causing misfires, I ran to the store, got some oil, and changed it in the driveway. While waiting for the pan to drain, I noticed something dripping from the vacuum line going to the transmission.

It was gasoline. In the vacuum lines. Traced those back to the plenum, and then pulled the hose off the fuel pressure regulator, and got a healthy dose of gasoline sprayed on me. Diaphragm in the regulator has failed, car was getting a 60psi spray of fuel through the regulator's vacuum line right into the intake manifold. It's a miracle I haven't washed the rings out. I'm guessing the thing had been leaking a little for awhile, causing an over-rich condition. The exhaust leaks were letting O2 into the exhaust stream and causing further wonky AFR readings, which led the car running like crap.

Oil's changed, and I got a new diaphragm at AutoZone this morning. Hopefully I can get it back on the road this afternoon.

If it isn't one thing, it's another...

No comments: