Tuesday, May 06, 2008

More gas on the ground...

So, I started the Bucket up yesterday, and then moved the wife's car out from behind it. As I was backing out of the driveway, I noticed a puddle forming under the Bucket. That puddle was gasoline, leaking from the outlet of the fuel filter. Seems fixing the leaky regulator just pushed the problem to the next weakest link.

I've ordered a fuel pressure test kit to help me troubleshoot this. Until that comes, the Bucket is parked. Too much risk of a fire.

However, I did get the Datsun started again last night. A four month ordeal with that car has ended, and I now have a new cam, followers, and valve stem seals that don't leak. It started on the first turn of the key, and I ran the cam in for 10 minutes last night, then changed the oil. I'll probably have to change it again in a week or so to make sure I got all of the cam break-in lube washed out.

Hopefully I can put it back on the ground tonight, take it for a test drive to make sure I haven't missed anything, and start driving that to work until I get the Bucket fixed again.

No comments: