Thursday, June 14, 2007

Air Conditioning!

Well, it's been a month since my last entry, and even longer since an entry pertaining to the Pontiac, but I finally have some news.

First, the car is running OK. Gas mileage is really bad (10-12mpg), and the speedometer is still way off.

However, I finally made some movement towards getting the A/C working.



Right there are my A/C lines. They leaked. New ones were ordered. Order was canceled because the part no longer exists. So, Roppels was nice enough to rebuild them for me. That done, I scheduled next Saturday for them to suck down and refill the system and set about putting everything back on tonight.



In this picture, you can see the compressor, the lines, and my new receiver/drier. It was about two hours of futzing, mostly getting the power steering pump to line up and buying a new A/C compressor belt at AutoZone. The A/C system is now back on the car. I also replaced the blower switch in the dash, as the existing one had the stem broken off. My next trip to Pull-a-part will have me nabbing a trim button for it and that'll be good as new.

Next Saturday the system gets recharged with wonderful R134a, and I'll be cruising in style and comfort... well, maybe comfort. I did wash it. At least the wheels are shiny again.

No comments: